1- AGRICULTURE The production of food
2. ALLUVIAL Soil that is carried by rivers or streams
3. AMENDMENT A change to the American Constitution
4. AQUIFER Area of underground layers of porous water-bearing rock or sand
5. ARABLE Land suitable for growing crops
6. ARISTOCRACY Style of government run by a group, based on heredity
7. ATMOSPHERE Layers of air that surround the planet
8 – AUTHORITARIAN Government system in which one person or a small group rule, with complete power
9. AXIS Imaginary line on which the planet spins during rotation
10. BAY An inlet of water smaller than a gulf
11. BILINGUAL The ability to speak or use two languages
12. CANAL Man-made waterway
13. CAPITAL Money (invested) or equipment needed for production
14 – CARTOGRAPHY The science of map-making
15. CASH CROP An agricultural product produced to make a profit rather than to be used by the farmer
16. CHURCH Place of worship in the Christian religion
17 – CIVILIZATION The term for an advanced way of living
18. CLAN A group of people related by blood, as well as culture
19. CLIMATE The average weather of a region over a long period of time
20. COMMAND ECONOMY Economic system controlled by the government Capital
21 – COMMERCIAL AGRICULTURE Type of farming organized as a business; it produces an excess to sell
22 – COMMUNISM Type of command economy in which workers control industrial production
23 – CONIFEROUS Trees that do not lose their leaves annually, needle-shaped leaves, evergreens
24. CONSTITUTION Plan of government used in the U.S., a social contract
25. CONSUMER Individual who make purchases
26 – CONSUMER GOODS Household goods that individuals buy
27. CONTINENTS The seven largest land masses
28. CONVENTION RAINFALL Rapid water cycle, caused by high evaporation rates, near the equator
29. CORIOLIS EFFECT Causes prevailing winds to blow in diagonal lines rather than straight line patterns
30. CULTURAL DIFFUSION The spreading of the ideas of a culture from one group to the next
31. CULTURAL FEATURE Name for an item or custom associated with a particular culture
32. CULTURAL HEARTH Birthplace of a culture or civilization
33. CULTURE Way of life of a group of people who share beliefs and similar customs
34. CURRENT Cold or warm water flow patterns found in rivers, seas and oceans
35. DECIDUOUS Broadleaf trees that lose their leaves annually
36. DEFORESTATION The cutting and destruction of large forest regions
37. DELTA A fan-shaped deposit of alluvial soil at the mouth of major rivers
38. DEMAND The economic term for the desire to purchase a service or good Wanting an IPhone! Rush for a Playstation
39. DEMOCRACY Type of government in which citizens rule
40. DEPOSITION The opposite of erosion, the building up of material
41. DESERTIFICATION Process in which arable land is turned into desert
42. DIALECT Local form of a language used in a particular place or used by a certain group (not an accent) Goin’ fer a walk?
43. DICTATORSHIP Type of government controlled by an individual, not based on heredity
44. ECONOMICS The study of how a group meets their needs and wants
45. ELEVATION Height above sea level
46. EMBARGO A ban on trade
47. EQUATOR Imaginary line that divides the planet into a northern and southern halves, 0 degrees latitude
48 - EQUINOX Two days of the year when the length of night and day are the same
49 - EROSION The washing or wearing away of rocks and land
50 - ESTUARY An area where the tide meets a river current
51 – ETHNIC GROUP Group of people who share a common ancestry and culture (also known as a tribe)
52 – EXECUTIVE BRANCH Branch of American government that enforces laws
53 - EXPORT Products that are shipped to another country or region
54 - FAULT A crack in the earth’s crust
55 - FEDERALISM Governmental system in which political power is shared between national and local units
56 - FJORD Long steep-sided glacial valley now filled with seawater
57 – FLOOD PLAIN Area of flat land found near rivers, usually flooded during high water
58 – FREE TRADE Trade without tariffs (taxes) or barriers
59 – GENE POOL All of the possible genes available in a group of people
60 - GEOGRAPHY The study of describing the earth …the earth doesn’t look flat???
61 – GEOGRAPHY-CULTURAL Type of geography that describes the people and lifestyle on the earth
62 – GEOGRAPHY-PHYSICAL Type of geography that describes the natural features of the earth
63 - GLACIER A large mass of ice on land, moves slowly throughout a year
64 – GNP Acronym for the Gross National Product, total of all goods and services produced in one year
65 - GOVERNMENT The political and administrative institutions of a society
66 - GRAPHS A way of presenting comparing information visually, using lines, bars or circles
67 - GULF A very large bay, usually salt water
68 - HARBOR An inlet of water used to protect ships, important for trade
69 - HEMISHERE One half of the globe
70 – HIGH LATITUDES Region of the globe located north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle ??? ???
71 – HILL An area of raised elevation with gently sloping sides
72 – HISTORY a record of human events
73 - HUMIDITY The amount of moisture in the air in comparison to the amount the air can hold
74 - HURRICANE Large powerful cyclonic windstorms that develop over warm water in the Atlantic
75 - HYPOTHESIS A scientific explanation
76 - IMMIGRANT A person who leaves their home to permanently live in another country
77 - IMPORT Products that are brought into a country from another country or region
78 - INDUSTRY Commercial production and sale of goods Primary Secondary Tertiary
79 - INFRASTRUCTURE Basic urban necessities, such as streets, bridges, and utilities
80 - INSTITUTIONS Long standing practices or structures found in all societies
81- INTERACTION Relationships of people and places
82 - INTERDEPENDENT Relying on one another for goods, services and markets USA Canada Mexico
83 – ISTHMUS A narrow strip of land that connects two larger bodies of land
84 – JUDICIAL BRANCH Branch of American government that interprets the law
85 – LABOR Name for workers needed in industry for production
86 – LANGUAGE FAMILY Group of languages that developed from one earlier language American Indo-European Germanic English
87 - LATITUDE Imaginary lines on the globe, that run east to west and measure distance north to south
88 – LAWS Social rules enforced by governments
89- LEACHING When heavy amounts of rain wash minerals and nutrients from the soil
90 – LEGISLATIVE BRANCH Branch of American government which create law House of Representatives Senate Both the House of Representatives and the Senate make up this branch of government
91 - LOESS Rich yellow-brown soil carried by winds from one place to another
92 - LONGITUDE Imaginary lines on the globe, that run north to south and measure distance east to west
93- MAGMA Liquid rock found under the earth’s crust
94 – MARKET COST The cost of an item based purely on supply and demand
95 – MARKET ECONOMIES Economic system where market conditions manage supply, demand and cost.
96 - METROPOLITAN An urban area with a population of over one million New York City Los Angeles
97 – MIDDLE LATITUDES Area of the globe between the tropics and the polar regions This region of the globe
98 – MIXED ECONOMIES Economic system with features of both market and command economies
99 - MONARCHY Type of government controlled by an individual, based on heredity
100 - MONOTHEISTIC Belief in one god
101- MONSOON Moisture-laden seasonal winds that brings heavy amounts of precipitation to Southeast Asia
102 - MOSQUE Place of worship in the Islamic religion
103- MOUNTAIN An area of raised elevation with steep sloping sides
Name the six states bordering Nebraska. Do you know???
105 - MULTICULTURAL Having elements that come from more than one culture
106 - NEEDS Basic desires that must be met to survive
107 - NOMAD People with no permanent home, they move from place to place
108 - OASIS A place where water can be found in the desert
109 - OCEAN The four largest bodies of salt water
110 - OLIGARCHY System of government in which a small group holds political power (example: the military takes over the country)
111. PCI Acronym of Per Capita Income; total national income divided by total population
112 – PEASANT AGRICULTURE Type of agriculture which may? produce an excess to be sold locally
113 - PENINSULA An arm of land that extends into a body of water, surrounded by water on three sides Florida Greece
114 - PERMAFROST Area of land that remains permanently frozen ICE
115 - PHILOSOPHY Set of beliefs based on ideas
116 - PHYSICAL MAP A map showing physical features
117 - PLACE A location on the globe with particular physical and human features Right there!
- PLAIN The name given to a large, generally flat area of land (may or may not be covered by grass)
119 – PLATE TECTONICS Description of continental drift and magma flow, which create many of earth's features
120 - PLATEAU An elevated plain
121 – POLITICAL MAP A map showing cultural features (nations, cities, etc.)
122 - POLYTHEISTIC Belief in many gods Hindu Gods Norse Gods Egyptian Gods Greek Gods
123 – POPULATION DENSITY Average number of people per square mile
124 – POPULATION DISTRIBUTION The pattern of where people live
125 – PRE-COLUMBIAN Time period before Columbus’ discovery of the New World 1492 ( ??? ??? )
126 – PREVAILING WINDS Winds that blow in a fairly consistent directional pattern
127 – PRIMARY INDUSTRY Type of industry that uses raw materials as they are (farming, mining, fishing)
128 – PRIME MERIDIAN The imaginary line of longitude that divides the globe into eastern and western halves ?????
129 - PROTECTIONISM Using heavy taxes to protect national industries from foreign competition
130 – RACE Human groups based on physical appearance
131- RAIN SHADOW Desert like conditions as a result of a large mountain chain.
132 - REGION Area of shared characteristics unlike its surrounding area.
133 - REINCARNATION Hindu belief, being reborn repeatedly in different forms.
134 - RELIGION a set of beliefs based on faith.
135 - REPUBLIC Government in which citizens elect representatives to run the government.
136 - RESOURCES Anything that is used, (both human and natural)
137 - REVOLUTION The 365 day movement of the earth around the sun.
138- ROTATION The 360 degree spin of the planet on its axis.
139 - RURAL Areas outside cities, having to do with the countryside.
140 - SCALE A measurement tool used on maps.
141- SCARCITY Economic term describing the situation when desire exceeds supply.
142 - SEA Large body of salt water, smaller than an ocean.
143 – SECONDARY INDUSTRY Type of industry using raw materials and producing a product (manufacturing)
144 - SERVICE Providing a skill instead of good. (banking, medical)
145 - SITE A specific location using the global grid system. (latitude, longitude) 23 degrees, 18’ 4” N Lat and 4 degrees, 43’ 10” E Long.
146 - SITUATION A location based on its surroundings. …in the Sandhills of Nebraska
147- SOCIALIZATION The process of learning your group.
148 - SOCIETY A group of people with some mutual connection.
149 - SOCIOLOGY The study of people living in groups.
150. SOLSTICE Two days of the year when the days and nights are at their greatest differences.
151- SPECIAL USE MAP Maps showing specific information.
152 – STANDARD OF LIVING A measurement of the quality of life, usually focuses on material goods.
153 – SUBSISTANCE FARMING Type of agriculture that produces only enough food for the farmer to survive.
154 - SUBURB Outlying communities around a central city.
155 - SUPPLY The amount of
156 - SYNAGOGUE Place of worship in the Judaic religion.
157 - TARIFF Tax on imports and exports.
158. TEMPLE Place of worship in the Hindu and Buddhist religions.
159 – TERTIARY INDUSTRY Type of industry that provides a service and not a product.
160 - TOPOGRAPHY Physical features of the earth’s surface.
161- TRADEOFFS An economic choice of how to use resources. OR OR
162 - TRIBE Group of people who share a common ancestry and culture. (also known as an ethnic group)
163 - TRIBUTARY A smaller stream or river that flows into a larger river.
164 - TROPICS Area of the globe between 23.5 north latitude and 23.5 south latitude.
165 - TSUNAMI Huge sea wave caused by an undersea earthquake.
166 - TYPHOON A hurricane formed in the Pacific Ocean.
167. URBANIZATION The movement of people from the countryside to larger cities.
168.VOLCANO Opening in the earth’s crust through which magma escapes, often creates a cone of rock.
169. WANTS Everything we desire, except for our needs.
170. WATER CYCLE The regular movement of water from ocean, to air, to ground and back to ocean.
171. WEATHERING Chemical or physical erosion. (freezing)